Saturday 7 November 2015

Healthy Chocolate "Fudge"

Or at least I'm telling the kids it's chocolate fudge.  I have to thank my family in Melbourne for introducing me to the no sugar concept, and while it's taken over a year to pluck up the courage to make this slab of delish, it has been well worth it.  One child is already sold on it, and now I have to try it on the other, more fussy, one.

So the recipe is as follows:

Healthy Chocolate Fudge

1 1/2 cups pitted dates
3 tablespoons coconut (I used desiccated as it was all I had)
3 tablespoons cocoa powder (although I may try a little less next time)

Throw everything into your food processor. Turn it on, let it run until you have a smooth-ish sticky ball of yum.  If the mixture is too dry, and a dash of water, or if it's too wet add a little coconut to dry it out.

Line a loaf tin with cling wrap, and tip the mixture into it, fold the cling wrap over it and press it down to form a nice flat slab (I used another loaf tin to get a very smooth finish). Pop it into the fridge to set (min an hour or 2) and then cut into squares (little ones as this is sweet stuff).

Enjoy!

Update: Fussy Child doesn't like the coconut flavour that comes through (although I think its part of the attraction) so I will have to figure out what I can use in place of the coconut.

Update 2: It would appear that I can use rolled oats in place of the coconut. I will post the method once I have experimented.

No comments: